Parenting Tips To Create Kids An Safe Online EnviromentKids today are growing up with internet opened, they are being to approach the net and show curiousness to Internet at a young age. The Internet is an Information Superhighway, but it’s also the porn and predator parkway. Unfortunately, it makes kids vulnerable to porn, phishing scams, cyberbullying, and Internet predators. As parents, you need to be padding right alongside kids or at least observing kids carefully from the shore when they are surfing the net. Here are several ways you can help your kids surf Internet more safely. Do homework at first Social networking sites, chat rooms, iTunes, and IM are unfamiliar terrain to many parents. To create a safety Internet for kids, parents need to do some research and learn more about the Internet. Then differentiate what’s available for kids and what may lead to potential harm. Specify standards surfing online
- – Block access to materials (text and pictures) identified as inappropriate for kids with web filter.
- – Permit access only to materials specifically approved as safe for kids.
- – Monitor your children’s activity on the Internet by storing names of sites and/or snapshots of material seen by your children on the computer for you to view later.
- – Set different restrictions for each family member.
- – Enforce time limits if necessary.
- – Ensure your kids follow the rules online. For example, the recommended age for signing up for social web sites is usually 13 and over.
- – Insist that your children never meet anyone in person that they’ve communicated with online only.
- – Ensure your kids don’t use full names but a nickname on the Internet.
- – Teach your children about cyberbullying.
- – Sit down with your children and watch what they are doing.
- – Get your kids to explain what is going on. It’s also a good idea to regularly check kids’ browser history to know where they go online.
Category: Learning Center