Monitor Employees During the Working Hours
In a company, monitoring employees during working hours is a necessary procedure in order to ensure all jobs and tasks at hand are completed at their given time. Also, it cannot be helped that every now and then some employees tend to visit other websites such as Facebook or Twitter, which are forbidden during company hours. Such distraction can only hinder a workday’s output and efficiency, not to mention its interferes with the employee’s work attitude during a work day. Is monitoring employees during working hours good or harmful?An example of common office practice that monitors employees during the working hours is having them log in and out of the workplace by means of timecards, biometric machines, etc. Employers sometimes invest a large sum of money for monitoring systems that are more accurate and efficient to eliminate human error. With this, abundant positive results can be reaped for the benefit of the employer and the success of the company.
Pros of Monitoring Employees during Working Hours
Every employer has the right to monitor their employees’ day-to-day activities in order to check the productivity of each work day. The benefits of monitoring staff during working hours can be found below.
- Figuring out the best way for your employees to function. By constantly reviewing and checking your employees’ work output, you’d eventually gather intel that gives you an idea how to upgrade your employees’ organizational structure, what tools they constantly need, and what team performs best.
- Exposing bad behavior among employees. Sometimes, CCTV cameras do not usually detect inappropriate office behavior. If the employee knows his/her emails are monitored, then he/she won’t dare do something bad for the office. In this way, employers will know who among their employees are liabilities.
- Timekeeping purposes. Proper recording of hours rendered by an employee is very important in any company. By investing in electronic timekeeping machines, employers can easily gather the record of an employee’s rendered hours, which can reflect the salary and other benefits he should be getting in accordance to the company policy.
Cons of Monitoring Staff during Working Hours
Even though the monitoring of employees’ activities is a necessary step for the company, some workers feel uncomfortable about the whole thing. Examples of probable disadvantages to this practice are:
- Cause stress. Some employees may feel very uncomfortable by the constant intrusiveness of their employers towards their work which results in low productivity.
- Increase workers’ turnover. Some workers get offensive in the long run with all the fuss and they sometimes think that they can’t work at a place where their boss distrusts them.
- Constraining work. Sometimes, the information some employees need for their work are found at social networking sites. Limited access to these sites can sometimes deter a task which employees find very inconvenient.
Although monitoring employees during working hours can be a sensitive topic between an employer and an employee, with the proper installation of monitoring software such as EaseMon Employee Monitor for Mac and proper orientation to employees involved, it is highly likely to have a harmonious work balance in a work area. Nevertheless, this step is a necessary procedure to promote fluid work results, which can benefit both employers and employees.
Tips to Monitor Employees Internet Use
As an employer, maybe you feel difficult to make sure whether your employees are using the Internet in a productive way. Fortunately, there are many ways to monitor what your staffs are doing with the company computer. For Mac OS X users, the best way to spy on your employees is to utilize the keylogger for Mac. It is the most used tool to make certain if employees’ Internet use is for true business-related purposes.
Monitor web access during the working hours To monitor your employees, first and foremost, you should monitor your workers’ web access via a keylogger for Mac. Check which websites they have browsed to ensure that whether they are dawdling away their time or working in earnest during office hours.
Monitor instant messages Instant messages are often a source of security breaches. However, since instant messaging can actually be useful in the business environment, enabling instantaneous communications with co-workers, vendors, etc., you have to apply the instant messaging in your business. Check your employees’ chat logs periodically to see if it will lead to any security breaches which may threaten your business.
Capture the screenshots Screen capture utilities are often included in monitoring software packages, like a keylogger for Mac. In addition to finding out the URL of a Web site an employee visited, you can actually see the site that was displayed on your employees’ screen, an opened Word document or graphics file, the contents of a dialog box, a video game being played by the employee.
Note: Before you apply this employee monitoring software in your company computers, work out a comprehensive computer usage policy that spells out exactly what is and is not allowed when using company resources, including office computers and the Internet.
Category: Articles and Tips